Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Low Blood Sugars

Well, I hate to say it but it's my own fault that I've been sporting a low-blood sugar all day. Unfortunately with diabetes the only person you have to blame for your challenges is yourself. Luckily this is an easily reconcilable problem. A few tweaks to my basal (base) rate of insulin, a few more carbs for lunch and I should be good to go! :)

Dare I say a good problem to have??? What is really happening with my body? No, I am not pregnant! What really is happening, is that my metabolism is starting to pick back up causing my blood sugar to drop lower than when my metabolism is slow. Now that I am back in the gym 4-5 days a week working out my systems are slowly getting back to the green zone which I am A-Okay with!

I think I have learned my lesson for being lethargic. My diabetes control had become all out of whack and I was trending on the higher side with my blood sugars which increases my risk for diabetic related complications like neuropathy, amputations, blindness, organ failure and potentially death. I haven't forgot that diabetes is the 6th leading cause of death in the US. Granted I am no where near that point with my diabetes control and probably have a better chance of being struck by lightning but the fact is it is on the list. My girlfriend absolutely hates when I bring this up, however, facts/stats like this help drive me to better control and that is what matters.

Someday I will inspire someone to take control of their diabetes and of their life thus saving it. Until that time I will continue to work on inspiring myself.

Happy Snowday...I mean...Tuesday!!!

1 comment:

X-Country2 said...

Keep taking care of yourself. :o)