Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Symptoms

Here are the common symptoms of Hypoglycemia:
  • Mild hypoglycemia can make you feel hungry or like you want to vomit. You could also feel jittery or nervous. Your heart may beat fast. You may sweat. Or your skin might turn cold and clammy.
  • Moderate hypoglycemia often makes people feel short-tempered, nervous, afraid, or confused. Your vision may blur. You could also feel unsteady or have trouble walking.
  • Severe hypoglycemia can cause you to pass out. You could have seizures. It could even cause a coma or death.
Awesome right??? Well last night I was having a bowl of ice cream watching the biggest loser and my heart was racing. I mean beating fast to the point that it was very noticeable. I felt 100% fine otherwise so I tried some deep breathing and tried to relax. Having diabetes for over 16 years means you have been through a hypo spell or two and this has never been a typical body reaction of mine. I have been plugged into my continuous glucose monitor (CGM) and my pump was showing my real-time blood sugar at about 120. No need to worry right? So finally it was time to get ready for bed and I checked my blood sugar as normal only to find out it was 50!!! That's getting pretty low and also made me see why the CGM took so long to get accepted by the food and drug administration.

CGM monitors blood glucose subcutaneously as opposed to directly
from the blood stream. This causes a lag in true blood sugar counts
because it takes longer for the blood to get from your veins to
your skin.Thus, per the FDA, CGM should only be used for
trending and not diabetes regulation. My CGM
has been incredibly helpful in dialing my pump and I
wouldn't give it up, but it sure makes me crazy sometimes!

Bottom line is that I needed to treat my hypoglycemia so I could go to bed. A few glucose tabs and some OJ and I was gangster golden! Ahh yes, just another day in this diabetic life and another symptom on the list! :)

3 comments:

Kim said...

So....It's not really approved for how you've been using it... What's the point of a pump if it's not really monitoring/regulating your blood sugar?!?!? Wow. That's some kind of loophole they found to get that thing approved. You're crazy to rely on that thing if you ask me.

jpnairn said...

Kim,
We're just doing the best we can using the best stuff we can get. Too much insulin kills people. That doesn't mean we stop using insulin. The absence of insulin kills people. The current generation of pumps and CGMs aren't perfect. That doesn't mean we shouldn't use them.

Mike,
Another symptom of extreme hypoglycemia while watching TV that I have discovered is getting confused between reality and whatever show is on. This can be very psychologically disturbing, especially if you're watching a Twilight Zone marathon.

Mike said...

I don't rely on it solely! I probably check my blood sugar more when I'm using it to see how my trends relate to my actual numbers. I use it about every three pump refills to help make sure I'm dialed in. My problem is I've become a bum in the off-season and need to get my ass up be more active. Things fly along just fine when I have regular activity. So bottom line is I'm being a bad diabetic and need to work on the third part of the trifecta. Blood sugar monitoring, food/nutrition and exercise.

I will start keeping track of my laziness in an effort to embarrass myself into being more active.